[access-uk] LINKSYS ROUTER WRT300nN UP AND RUNNING . . ..

  • From: "Carol Pearson" <carol.pearson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 11:55:11 +0100

Hi all,

I don't usually post too many "Thank You" messages but, as I was the one who
complained recently when help wasn't forthcoming, I want publicly to let you
know that Steve Nutt has now set up my router (as above) and it appears to
be working well!
Some may be interested to know that I decided to swap it as I was using an
older Linksys router with a separate wireless access point and I found that
my laptop kept losing its wireless connection.  In addition, transmission at
11 KBPS (I think it is) was slow and I found I couldn't listen to radio
transmissions via the Internet without breakup.

It seems that using the new router, which incidentally has an option for use
with wireless 802.11b or G, or a auto setting, seems to have solved all
problems.

Thanks Steve.  Good work!

Whilst on this subject, may I ask a couple of questions about security.
Apart from using a 26 character (128 WEP encription key) and changing the
name of my router, is there anything else I can do to be more secure.
(Other methods of security, as opposed to WEP, are not available to me as I
want to use BrailleNote to collect messages from time to time, but I would
be interested in any other little tweak which keeps one's computer more
secure.)

Thanks.

--
Carol