[access-uk] Re: Kindle Keyboard v Kindle Fire

  • From: "Griffiths, Steve" <Steve.Griffiths@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 09:41:22 +0100

An update for the Kindle Fire 7" came out recently, and it has good
improvements for the TTS capability, bringing it into line with the 8.9"
unit. They have unlocked the Explore by Touch feature of the underlying
Android operating system, which allows a speech user to navigate the
main screens and menus, browse the list of books on the device, open one
and read it unaided.

Note that the speech feature still needs sight turn it on, navigation
within books is still frustratingly limited, and there are no options at
all for the voice - you can't even change the rate. I need to do some
more playing with it before I update our web page about the Fire. I'll
be concentrating on the book reading features, although I'll also be
interested to see if you can use the email, calendar and other features
of the device.

Steve