[access-uk] Re: Keep all your internet searches private just by changing your home page!

  • From: Mobeen Iqbal <mobeeniqbal@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2014 09:06:53 +0100

hi, perfectly valid points. they jaz them selves up quite a bit, but its still makes you wonder what's in it for them. noone does anything for free!

Mo.

On 03/06/2014 09:01, Jonathan H wrote:
Cunning - so basically, scare people into pretending that using Google
to search reveals "personal information" (of course, it doesn't) and
then hoover up a share of the ad revenue from the Google ads that show
on the results.

Reminds me of "blackle" - anyone remember that? They pretended that by
having a black Google search page, your monitor would use less energy
and all the seals and fluffy kittens in antarctica wouldn't die. Of
course, although we're only talking fractions of a watt per monitor,
the opposite was true in that monitors use MORE energy to turn pixels
black. But why bother with facts when there are gullible people and ad
revenue!

I did try startpage though and a couple of things bothered me:

1: No auto-suggest which I rely on greatly
2: No "safe browsing" interstitial to warn me if I'm about to visit a
potentially harmful site
3: No google personal blocklist, so results from annoying pointless
sites like answers.com, bigresource, bighow etc all appeared in
results.

I'd love to see their accounts - they must be raking it in.

The snakeoil salesmen are back in town!

On 3 June 2014 08:24, Mobeen Iqbal <mobeeniqbal@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

engine - www.startpage.com - that fetches results from Google's search
engines without disclosing any of my personal information to Google.