[access-uk] Re: KNFB

  • From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 21:32:06 -0000

No, I don't think there's any way the KNFB reader will come down to 'a few
hundred pounds
There's no denying though the degree of R&D that's gone into the software and
making it all
work with the hardware.  If the price could be, say halved, you might see some
stretching
their finances and writing begging letters to acquire one.  The potential for
the KNFB to
bring some increase in personal independence to blind people seems obvious.

All that said, some might like to reflect that the equivalent US dollar price
in Uk stirling
is just over £1,800.   I feel pretty sure though that if Ian or In Touch were
to do some
investagative journalism on this, a few stone walls would be met with.  Wonder
if You and
Your's might be more interested?  Maybe in the context of the UK being the
proverbial honey
pot for importers, or so its often said.

Inciedentally, I wonder if Ian's good fortune is entirely due to Acess to Work,
or the fact
that I suspect the Beeb has a pretty supportive and generous equality policy
along with
funding of it.

From Ray
I can be contacted off-list at: