[access-uk] Re: Jaws display settings

  • From: "John Gregory" <jgm.gregory@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 21:09:17 +0100

Hi Jeff,

Would help if you could give more of a description of what is happening, but
if what you want to do is to return JAWS to the way it was when you first
installed it, then do the following (which includes a test to see if it is
the default configuration settings file) that is causing the problem.

This is taken from the Freedom Scientific website and refers to JAWS8, but
have tried it and it workds with J12. I also assume that you are using
Windows 7.

To run JAWS in default mode without any other scripts:

1. Press the Windows key and type jaws12 /default - do not press enter at
this point;

2. Press JAWS key and F4 to close the current JAWS session and press enter
to stop JAWS;

3. Press enter again to load JAWS in default mode;

At this point check to see if the problem has resolved itself, i.e. that you
can do what you want to do and that the display problem has gone away. If
everything is now OK, it is probably the default configuration script that
is the problem. To resolve this do the following:

1. Open the start menu;

2. Go to 'all programs' and open the submenu;

3. Go to the JAWS 12 (or whatever your version is) and open the submenu;

4. Go to 'explore JAWS' and open the submenu;

5. Go to 'explore my settings' and press enter; this opens my computer with
a list of files and folders

6. Scroll down until you find default.jcf;

7. Delete this file and then reboot.

JAWS should start normally and the settings wizard will appear for you to
set your default settings as you did when you first installed JAWS.

Hope this works. If it doesn't the only thing I can suggest is to uninstall
and reinstall JAWS.

John.

  _____