[access-uk] Re: Jaws and Supernova users specifically excluded from law-breaking DWP DLA claims site.

  • From: Jonathan H <digitaltoast@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 16:56:14 +0100

Looks like it made it into the news today!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/04/30/universal_credit_dwp_browser_compatibility_snafu/

"Benefits claimants signing up for disability living allowance online
are told they cannot use modern browsers, smartphones or even Macs.

The microsite will not work with Apple Macs nor other Unix-based
systems (such as Linux), according to the DWP itself. Neither is the
site compatible with smartphones - or any Internet Explorer
installation more modern than version 6, released back in the heady
days of 2001.

Blind claimants attempting to submit a claim for disability living
allowance are told they may "wish to claim in another way". The
compatibility warning on the site states that it may not work with the
JAWS or Supernova screen readers, both of which were developed for
blind computer users."