[access-uk] JAWS settings problem/question

  • From: "Catherine Turner" <catherineturner2000@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Access-UK" <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 12:09:41 -0000

Hi,

This is partly a generalish moan and partly some specific questions.

First for the moan - every time I upgrade JAWS some little but to me significant things change without particular advantage and it gets right on my nerves. For example how much gets moved through/read when pressing Control down in Internet Explorer (this has changed, I've noticed, every time I upgrade JAWS - I'll notice that it behaves differently in this respect on websites I'm very familiar with and it throws me for a while). Also, despite the fact I use Merge Settings, my settings never seem to be exactly the same. Sure there are probably new features in some cases which mean that some new settings need to be tweaked, but surely my old settings should stay the same. e.g. I had to go into Configuration Manager/Verbosity Settings for Outlook Express and tell JAWS to announce when text is selected.

Now for the specific questions.

1. Since installing JAWS 8 I am now getting a beep noise whenever I get to the bottom of a document/list view and try to cursor down more. I didn't have it like this before and I don't want it. I don't know if this is a JAWS setting but clearly JAWS is having an impact on it. Does anyone know if/how I can stop this happening?

2. Similarly, when using JAWS 7 I am able to open an e-mail in Outlook Express, press Control to shut JAWS up and then move through the e-mail paragraph by paragraph with Control down which is quicker for some purposes. Now every time I press Control while JAWS is initially reading the e-mail I get the beeping sound. Any way of stopping this? It makes for a lot of noise.

3. JAWS is not now reading the percentage of progress when downloading my mail in Outlook Express. What setting shall I look at? I looked at verbosity settings and thought they were ok but if someone could point me to the exact setting that'd be helpful.

Thanks,
Catherine
**
Read, ruminate and rant with me - visit my blog:
http://catherineturner.wordpress.com
Life, the universe and technology titbits