[access-uk] Re: Is there still a stand alone TV sound receiver?

  • From: "Wendy Sharpe" <w.sharpe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 14:19:54 +0100

Ray

Portset do the sound receivers.  Website is

www.portset.co.uk

They still have the analogue one at £105 which just gets BBC1, BBC2, ITV,
Channel 4 and 5.  As we are switching over during the next few years I
wonder whether this is worth buying.

They also do what they called the Media Centre.  This costs over £800 (I
can't recall the exact price).  It gets Freeview digital TV and radio, and
there is also an attempt at teletext.  Everything talks, and if a programme
is audio described you get that too.  There is a seven day talking TV guide
for each channel.

I was lucky enough to get one of these second-hand, and I would advise
joining the recycle-it mailing list in case another one comes up if the
normal price is too much.

Wendy