[access-uk] Re: Is it possible to have Alex as my VO voice on my MacBook?

  • From: Ian Macrae <ian.macrae@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 09:46:27 +0100

Andy, I'd strongly suggest you listen to David Woodbridge's Vision Australia
podcasts on getting started.  In particular he talks about which keyboard
set-up you need and how to change it.

Ian Macrae
Editor
Disability Now
6 Market Road
London
N7 9PW
++44 20 7619 7760 ext 7760
++44 7824 900855
www.disabilitynow.org.uk<http://www.disabilitynow.org.uk>
Follow us: @disabilitynow

On 20 Jun 2013, at 08:49, Gordon Keen wrote:

Hi

I'm not Ian but am sitting at a mac book air right now and pressing the v+o
keys with f8 does bring up the voice over utility app,  to close it you need
command+w

Because you have described the keys that bring up the extras menu I suggest you
have the keyboard set up slightly differently to me and I presume Ian so you
will need to use the fn key with v+o and f8 to get to the v+o utility
app.Regards

From Bridgerule in glorious Devon, England.
On 19 Jun 2013, at 18:18, ANDY COLLINS
<Andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:Andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Thanks Ian - are you using a MacBook Air, or a Mac Pro? I'm wondering if there
are some differences, as the key strokes you refer to, such as VO keys and f8,
doesn't open VO, in fact, the only key combination in conjunction with f8 that
does anything, is function key and control and f8, which brings up an
'extendede menu.' In there it tells me about Bluetooth, wi-fi strength, clock
and battery status, still useful, as I was looking for the battery info, but
nothing for Voice Over. I also new about and tried VO keys with command, and
used the arrow keys to get to voice, but the only one there was Daniel
[compact.]

Anders has also told me of some key strokes, such as control s to launch
Safari, but that too doesn't work on this machine, and neither does pressing VO
keys and f1 twice bring up the app chooser. In fact, pressing f1 on it's own,
and pressing it with the VO keys makes no difference, that function key is
about brightness, so is the f2 key!

** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> with
the Subject:- faq