[access-uk] Re: Intorduction and a question.

  • From: "Edward Green" <edward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 11:49:46 -0000

Hi Imbar,

That's quite a broad question.  Overall though, I'd say services for the
blind are pretty good.

Provision varies between that provided by central Government and local
authorities, and that provided by charitable organisations such as the RNIB.

Government provision includes transport concessions, money to help students
and those in employment buy equipment or other support, and state benefits
for those with disabilities.  Government and large service providers such as
banks and utilities are also reasonably good at providing accessible
information in Braille or other alternative formats.  Some local authorities
publish directories of services available in their particular area.

The RNIB is the largest and most widely known of the charitable service
providers.  It provides a range of adapted products, as well as other advice
and support services.  This includes talking book and Braille libraries.

Your access to some of the services, particularly those provided by
Government such as state benefits, are likely to be affected by your
immigration status.

Are there any particular services that you would like more information on?

Cheers,

Ed