[access-uk] Internet-capable radios.

  • From: Colin Howard <colin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 11:15:19 +0100

Greetings,

a few days ago on the UK Radio Listeners' group, I posted information from
the PC-Audio group about the Sangean WRF-28/WRF-28D, here are some follow-up
posts concattinated into a single text, I have left date and sender info for
each but the most proliffic's contact details are appended on the end of the
last of their posts.

Notes On The Sangean WRF-28/WRF-28D Internet Radio
From: Dane Trethowan grtdane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 06:31:32 +1000

Hi!

I got this radio earlier this week and yesterday I finally started making
some progress so I can tell the list a little about this incredibly
versatile tool.

First a note to U.S. list members, this radio is available in North America
so look for the model number WRF-28, in Australia, The United Kingdom and
the rest of Europe look for the Sangean WRF-28D - D Standing for DAB or
DAB+.

This radio has 5 modes, Internet Radio, Music Player, Line-in DAB and FM
bands, - the WRF-28 version is without the DAB band.

Each band is easily selected with the "Mode" button which cycles between the
bands.

Layout of controls is simple enough, there are 2 lines of 5 mini piano type
keys on the front, the first row are "mode", "Info", "Menu", "Back" and
"Forward", the row below that are your presets numbered 1 through 5 though
these buttons have secondary functions when in the Music player, they
control the play, pause, forward and rewind actions.

The "Volume" control is easily identifiable on the right and a "Mute" button
is found in the middle of this, the "Standby" button is found at the top
right hand corner of the display which is above the "Volume" control.

To the left is the 3 inch full range speaker which sounds incredibly nice
for a radio of this size, yes its only a mono speaker but most Internet
radio stations are in mono anyway and the radio does have a stereo
headphones and a line-out jack for stereo listening.

Setup is very easy if you have some vision, when the radio is first started
the "Setup Wizard" appears on the screen where you make basic settings
including your current country/region, how you want the clock set, your
Network settings and so on, this radio is WPS compatible so you can connect
to a secured and protected network at the touch of a button through a WPS
compatible router.

By now I'm assuming you're all wondering how does one find Internet radio
stations? If you have vision then that process is easy done by using the
menus and the onscreen interface but that doesn't mean someone without
vision can't do the same all be it by using slightly different procedures.

The user can register the radio with "Radio Fronteer" which acts as a bridge
between your Radio and the database of radio stations, from the Radio
Fronteer web site you can add and manipulate your "Favourite Radio Stations"
list on your radio, you log into the Radio Fronteer site, set up your
favourite stations list by searching and adding stations and then press play
etc.

If the web site isn't convenient and you have an IOS device such as an
iPhone or iPad then you can use the App to automate the process.

Once you've found a radio station you want to listen to you can hold down 1
of the preset buttons to have that location stored for quick and convenient
access next time.

DAB radio was easy enough to set up, the radio automatically scanned for
DAB+ radio stations in my area.

Still more to come on the topic of this radio so WATCH THIS SPACE smile.

From: "Kris Hickerson" krishickerson@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 16:07:58 -0500

Hi Dane,

Thank you for the info about this radio.  I never did get the UE radio from
Logitech, but this sounds like an excellent alternative. Once you become
more familiar with it would you consider doing a podcast.  Excuse my
ignorance, but what is DAB radio?  I don't think we have that here, and if
we do, I've never heard about it.

Keep us posted, please.  I still want internet radio.

Kris

From: Dane Trethowan grtdane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 07:31:50 +1000

DAB stands for Digital Audio Broadcasting and no, if you're a resident of
the U.S. then you wouldn't have it.

The Logitech Radio is also a good choice and has plenty to recommend it, I
have the Logitech Squeezebox Boom and Logitech Squeezebox Radio and I'm in
no hurry to part with any of those smile.

The Logitech radios are only Internet radios/music players whereas the
Sangean has the extra FM and - where appropriate - DAB bands.

Having said that the 1 thing i really like in favor of the logitech Radios
is that a user without vision can set the alarm clock as a sighted person
would set a clock radio, the Sangean radio has alarm functions but they're
not too easy to set without vision, the Logitech Radio alarms can be set
through the HTML web interface at http://www.mysqueezebox.com through your
registered account.

The Logitech Radio itself is mono but has a Stereo Headphones output, get 2
radios and you can "Sync" them together, you then have a "Stereo" setup.

Dane Trethowan

Logitech Radio
From: Dane Trethowan grtdane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 03:53:08 +1000

Since we've been discussing this on the PC Audio group, I thought I'd bring
a Podcast I did 2 years ago to the lists attention, initially I did this
Podcast on the Logitech Squeezebox Boom but much of what the Podcast covers
also applies to the Logitech Radio today so here's the link if anyone's
interested in a listen.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10565527/Squeezebox%2001.mp3

Dane Trethowan

Sangean WFR-28 Internet Radio Again
From: Dane Trethowan grtdane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 08:28:57 +1000

1 thing I forgot to mention, this radio comes with a CD ROM containing
accessible versions of the owners manual, I found this to be of great help.

Dane Trethowan

From: "Gary Schindler" garys5462@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 19:31:13 -0400

How do you obtain the access code so you can set up the presets for your
radio on the website. this sounds like a radio with many possibilities.

From: Dane Trethowan grtdane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 09:32:57 +1000

You may need sighted assistance for this, you go into the Help menu of the
radio and obtain the access code from there.

I initially thought the Access code might be the Mac address of the radio
which can be gotten from your Rooter but this didn't work.

The access code is 7 characters long.

If I find another way of getting the code then I'll let the list know.

Skype: grtdane12
Phone US (213) 438-9741
Phone U.K. 01245 79 0598
Phone Australia (03) 9005 8589