[access-uk] Internet Tutorial?

  • From: "ari" <aridamoulakis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 17:37:17 +0200

Hi all,
Does anyone know of a very friendly presented, non-electronic tutorial, like on tape or CD (not daisy), which would help a person understand and use the internet and email effectively with Window Eyes from a near novice beginning? I'm wanting to find something for an elderly couple, the lady is starting to use the internet, but because she doesn't have some sort of tutorial, she's brilliantly trying to learn it herself, I think that someone has taught her how to click on links and that that takes her to another page, but I don't think she's using it as well as she could with Window Eyes, she also gets scared when things like the phishing filter pops up, doesn't really understand the whole forms thing and how they work, and it would be nice if the guide had a lists of interesting sites for the blind she could visit, so she can understand that there's a lot she can do on the internet. One disturbing habit she has is to just ignore warnings that her antivirus program gets, she clicks OK for everything. She also prefers slowly finding and reading text on her screen with the Optacon instead of using the screenreader in a way that would make her find the text much faster, I still don't understand why, but apparrently before screen readers that's how they used to do it, she's more used to it? Her husband is totally refusing to use the internet, I don't know if he's a bit scared he'll damage the computer or something.
Thanks
Ari