[access-uk] Inaccessible and accessible Bible software

  • From: "Ari" <aridamoulas@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 23:12:47 +0200

Hi all,
My name is Ari from South Africa, and I'm new to this group. I would like to
know if anyone knows of a good accessible Bible software program to use and
if their is any way to make Libronyx Digital Library System books
accessible. I will just tell everyone why I'm asking about Libronyx:
Last year I bought a program called Nelson's Ultimate Bible Reference which
cost me quite a lot of money. It has over 600 Biblical and Theological books
concerning Church History, and other interesting things, with over 15
versions of the Bible, and it even has Midi hymns. The dealer told me the
books were all text and that I shouldn't have any problems. Imagine my shock
when I saw that the books and hymns all needed to be used through an
interface called Logos Libronyx Digital Library System and the files ended
with a strange extension something like .llbr or something. This system was
so advanced that only when you activated it, it would allow you to open and
read the books in it. I tried using JFW 3.7, but it was totally inaccessible
with the software, even if you rooted the cursors it didn't work, and when
someone managed to help you open a book in the software, JFW wouldn't read
it iether. I emailed the company, and they told me that the program had
keyboard shortcuts forr sellecting and copying text to normal text editors.
I don't know why, but even though the short-cuts were even listed in the
program like control A and control C, they didn't work! To select text,
someone had to do it with the mouse for me, and even then, you couldn't
select the whole book at once. I can't open the books in Wordpad, or
Microsoft Word, they just come on the screen as nonsense. I sent an email to
Freedom Scientific asking them to try and consider making this software
accessible with JFW, because I'm sure a lot of pastors and other people
interested would like to use this software or at least to be able to read
all the books. Freedom Scientific sent me a reply saying I should send the
message to the suggestions email address, which I have done. So far, their
has been no reply, so, until Freedom Scientific thinks about making Libronyx
Digital Library System accessible, what could I do? What's sad about all
this is, I've read on the internet that much older versions of the Library
System were actually somewhat accessible with JFW!
Thanks
Ari