[access-uk] Re: In Touch: Why do we pay so much? Again!

  • From: Wally.Harding@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 08:16:21 +0100

If the charity you're hinting at is the one for which I work, you are very
much mistaken, we are certainly not doing very well out of it, I know, I'm
in the middle of it all but don't make the decisions or have any powers to
change things.

It should also be remembered that when a supplier/reseller, like us, sells a
product for which that supplier doesn't have sole distributorship of, the
price for which it is sold is determined by the manufacturer and we have to
go with it or not supply it.

That's why jaws costs the same no matter where you buy it in the UK, because
Freedom Scientific control the pricing of their product. This is also the
reason why there is almost no competition between companies/charities with
regards to access technology products.

Wally Harding
RNIB Hi-tech support