[access-uk] Re: In Touch: Why do we pay so much? Again!

  • From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 13:58:07 +0100

Thanks to Colin from Ray also.  I have'nt had time to mull over the figures
Colin has given us as yet.

I should like to make one thing clear:  Dealers (have) to have a margin;
manufacturers and designers too.  These are not charities, they are
businesses.  There prime insentive is profit;  without that there would be
no product, and nothing to argue about.  Some may also have a mission more
or less to be ethical and to provide a service, and this is where the debate
should be centred.

I find it very hard to see why software should carry a much more generous
margin in the UK than, seemingly, elsewhere, especially when you consider
this could be downloaded by many now direct from the vendor.  With
harwarehardware and the specially written software, often living in flash
memory or whatever, the situation is different as I see it.  Here again
though some suppliers seem to want to make a generous margin both on selling
and on servicing.  One example.  A friend sent a Braillelite back to have
the battery replaced.  The bill?  £120.00.  That does not strike me as
either justifiable or fair.

Turning to the Braillenote PK, there was a review/interview with Jonathan
Mozan on Main Menu recently, so maybe that would reveal the exact nature of
the PK's OS and other issues.

Ray.