[access-uk] Re: IT courses

  • From: "Darren Brewer" <darren.m.brewer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 11:44:21 +0100

Hi William

I'm not actually doing the online course you are asking about, but was curious to see what was on the website.

I am doing the MCDST course but at a local training centre in Birmingham. The course is 5 days, but obviously it takes a lot longer to do than that. There are lots of video's to watch and you get a manual . I have a PDF version of the book which makes the course material accessible.

The other thing you need is a computer with XP pro on it so you can install Virtual PC 2007 as there are labs that you need to complete on virtual machines.

I don't know how the online course works, maybe they have a virtual environment that allows you to complete the labs? I don't imagine it would be accessible though. Maybe their course is designed in a different way, but doing practical labs is key to being a good technician and understanding what you are doing.

After going to the link you gave I was interested to find a link to a small test. There are 10 questions and after taking the test I got 2 out of 10. Took the test again and apparently got 1 out of 10. I know for certain I got about 8 questions correct. So obviously they are fiddling your answers to make it look like you need to take their online course. I find this very misleading and would therefore not trust them.

Anyhow, the training centre I go to is called New Horizons and they have centres all over the Uk. They were very accommodating in helping with my access needs and I would recommend them. I am almost ready to take the first exam and I think that is going to be quite tough as I don't believe you can install access technology on the exam machines.

Kind regards
Darren.

----- Original Message ----- From: "william lomas" <lomaswilliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>