[access-uk] Re: ISO and audio

  • From: Mobeen Iqbal <mobeeniqbal@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 20:37:46 +0000

Hi Jonathan.

Many thanks for the informative email, i'll have to look in to those! i've been using bitripper for ripping for a while now, but the more options the better! just hope they're useable with A11Y software.

all the best,

Mo.

On 22/01/2013 20:25, Jonathan H wrote:
First up, before anyone gets all uppity and barks at me, none of these
tools or what they do are illegal in themselves.

So, essentials tools whose accessibility I can't vouch for are:

http://makemkv.com/ to rip the blu-ray or DVD, or for DVD only try
http://www.dvdshrink.org/ (be careful where you download from, it's
free - if you're asked to pay then you've hit a scam site).

 From DVDshrink you'll want to select NO COMPRESSION and also just rip
the main movie and languages you are interested in and the AD track if
it exists.

Then run it through VidCoder which is a fork and improvement of the
seemingly-abandoned Handbrake application for both PC and Mac.

When you encode, not only can you choose your video track size and
bitrate, but you can can also choose to not re-encode the audio at
all, and it will just re-mux it as passthrough. So if your DVD had DTS
HD Master Audio, then that's what your mp4 or mkv file will contain.

With blu-rays it's a bit trickier - you often have different language
video renders as well as audio renders.
If you just pull the whole disks you can quite easily end up with a
150Gb folder!
Plus, there's some sneaky copy protection that means you probably
won't be able to play it back on a blu-ray player via usb, but should
be OK on your hard drive.

Phew!

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 3:27 PM, BJ Edwards<bjthequill@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
Hi,

So, in my eutopian fantasy I have all my movies on one lovely hard
drive that I can plug into a media centre and watch on a decent
system. But, can you get the audio track of your choice from an ISO
file or DVD and save it as a file without loosing quality and listen
on a portable device? sorry, rather rambling. I don't want MP3
compression, I want "proper" audio. Can this be done?

Thanks!

BJ