[access-uk] Re: IPhones IPads and their accessability

  • From: "Amro Bilal" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 15:57:42 +0300

Hi Yusuf and all,

I'm not sure where to start... well, I got my very first Apple product about a week ago. I can say it definitely takes more than a mere hour to get familiar with the new interface. However, after a day with my iPad I could check my emails, go online and even compose a short email. After few days I'm now using the iPad comfortably for many things and very happy with it. It's very intuitive. Having said that, I'm still not sure if iPhone will be for me because I'm not sure if I'll be able to text fast enough on a touch screen. Plus, mobile phones for me means one hand operation.

If you really want to make the best of your next visit to the Apple store you must read a little about VoiceOver hand gestures before you go. Yes it's about touching icons on the screen but there's a lot more than that to it. Reading only took me about half an hour and that made navigating around a lot more easy.

I'm not sure how to make this post more helpful, not sure where to start from as I said, but here's a couple of hints-

Touch the screen as close as possible to the item you need to activate then flick left/right to move to the next item until you find it.

Make use of the Rota so if you're on a web page for example then you can quickly jump to the next link or visited link by flicking upwards or downwards.

The mane point I suppose is to read the very short Voiceover manual before you get your hands on any of the Apple products. Intuitive as it is but reading is essential IMHO. Visit

http://www.apple.com/voiceover/info/guide/_1131.html#vo27992

Not all commands at the above link are relevant to the iPhones/iPod/iPad I think but they got me started alright.

Hope that helps a bit,
Amro
----- Original Message ----- From: "Yusuf" <yusufaosman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>