[access-uk] Re: IE 8

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 May 2009 15:22:36 +0100

The problem is, Steve, that you are not hearing what you are missing.
Some parts of sites simply do not display, so unless you are familiar
with the site, you would not necessarily know content was missing.  A
particular nasty I have come across are drop down selection boxes or
lists which simply don't drop down or display anything but the
default.  And yet they are O.K. with IE7.

Even yesterday I came across a Lulu on Microsoft's own site, where a
particular TechNet subscription page was locked into the USA, and
would not display a list of countries, to subsequently enable costs to
be displayed in Pounds Sterling.  The guys have admitted it is an IE8
problem, and is the not the only one they have come across.

My wife and I have been using Autotrader of late as she wants a newer
car.  The rendering pretty well sucks in many cases, and so we've had
to use another system with IE7 to see what was missing.

If it came up with a blazing great error message, it wouldn't be quite
so bad, but I can't hack missing material.

George.