[access-uk] I can't read this page, can you?

  • From: "Damon Rose" <damon.rose@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 09:05:11 +0100

Hi. Are you feeling helpful and brave this morning?

I'm using jaws 8 with IE6 on Windows XP here

I wanted to read a blog entry about a web social inclusion techie
conference I was interested in. it's on the Guardian website, so a well
known and popular site. But I think the website has some dynamic content
on it that is utterly stuffing up my JAWS. Being as I have these kinds
of problems a lot, I'm really interested to see if you can read the
following website without any trouble:

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/digitalcontent/category/conferences/

Note that it affects my jaws so badly that I can't easily leave internet
explorer. But when I do, jaws performance is severely impaired when
using other applications such as Outlook that I normally use without
problem.

The good news is that simply turning jaws off and turning it back on
again brings it back to new. But I still can't read the page I pasted in
above.

Any help or thoughts on what is on this page that is stopping me from
raeding it most appreciated.

Oh and I should note that here at work I can't install IE7, I am stuck
with JAWS 8 for a few more months until jaws 9 is rolled out to the
network, and I'm most definitely tied to XP for a while longer. So
suggesting I move to IE7 is currently a definite no.

A wider question here is, if you also can't read this website - and it's
only a blog - do you have similar reactions from your screenreader on
other sites? And are you just getting a bit sick at the number of modern
websites that jaws can't cope with lately as web science moves on
a-pace.

Thanks so much.

...Damon

Damon Rose
Content Producer: Ouch, Ouch Podcast, See Hear.
   www.bbc.co.uk/ouch     \    www.bbc.co.uk/seehear

Have you heard the Ouch Podcast yet? A razor sharp disability talk show
presented by Mat Fraser and Liz Carr: www.bbc.co.uk/ouch/podcast

Tel: 020 8752 4427 (x0224427)
email: damon.rose@xxxxxxxxx

http://www.bbc.co.uk/
Do not use, copy or disclose the information in any way nor act in reliance on
it and notify the sender immediately.