[access-uk] Re: Hydraulics Could Enable Fullscreen Braille Display

  • From: "Damon Rose" <damon.rose@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 13:47:40 +0100

Gosh. Good article. Sounds like it could make braille cheaper if they can make
the materials react fast enough ... but can't see a full screen braille display
being implemented into a PDA. Well nothing that would be small enough to be
thought of as a personal digital assistant.

Though it's useful to see how information, links and icons are related in
space, we do only read one letter or word at a time in Braille. Size and
economics will be the key here. A literally 'full screen' experience could be
approaching the size of the cork noticeboard in my kitchen, I'd have thought.
And it would be a difficult reading experience, especially if bits were being
updated.

However it will be an entirely new way of thinking and, coupled with useful
audio messages and beeps, may have its place in certain applications.

I'd be really interested in reading any radical thinking people have about
bigger braille displays and displaying information. I write this on the eve of
the Apple iPad being launched and the various fascinating discussions around
the fact that we just don't know the possibilities or applications for a larger
mass market touch screen device. As with when television was invented in the
early 20th century, we still don't know what it could be used for. Ditto large
braille displays in 2010.

And how about touch screen braille displays? Wow! Imagine it, you can feel
anywhere you want on the display but when you touch the screen and press the
'action' button at the bottom then the huge braille display translates it as a
command. i.e. click this link, fire that laser, book that train ticket, play
that track, draw that circle. I'm going off into fantasy mode and realising how
amazing such a thing could be for education and potentially even opening up the
world of engineering and technical design a little more to visually impaired
people. It could be a great thing.

...Damon