[access-uk] Re: "Honey Pot"

  • From: "simon.dowling" <simodowl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 14:02:59 +0100

hi Douglas, don't want to alarm you, but this has nothing to do with screen readers, it is something you have downloaded recently.
I had exactly the same, a while ago, and eventually I tracked it down from sygates security log.
its a trojan, and what it does every time the honey pot message flashes up, it is taking a screen shot of your screen, so it records key strokes, and other sensitive information such as passwords, account details etc.
then from time to time it will send the info back to someone usually through a encrypted mailer service to the persons who may use it for there own means.
I had to remove web route spy sweeper, then reinstall it before it would pick it up.
a system restore doesn't fix the problem, you think its gone and it still popped up from time to time.
so remove spy sweeper, reinstall it, and you should be ok.
I also recommend trojan guard as well.
hth
----- Original Message ----- From: "Douglas Harrison" <harrison1d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>