[access-uk] Re: Headset guides blind people in cities

  • From: "Tyler, Steve" <Steve.Tyler@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2014 11:32:49 -0000

Guys.

I've been reading this thread with interest so wanted to put some stuff
on the table for clarity and also to avoid mis-conceptions.

Firstly, i completely understand why some of us are cynical around new
innovations and the fact that they can come and go and not be picked up.
But without pushing the boundaries absolutely nothing would happen.
Using some of the examples that people have raised on this list:

* Panasonic tv: no - not perfect.  But you can read the EPG and a lot of
the menuing systems thus not requiring you to refer to any other source
of information - and now TTS is built in so we can, and do, expect more;
* REACT: is an evolving system and no it's not dead.  In fact, it is at
the stage where the react protocol is being used in a variety of systems
and about to be implemented in many more realtime information systems
etc - not in the same guise as it was, but with cheaper implementation
and changes in the tech, it has becoming extremely affordable.  And it
can be integrated with other systems and services.  So yes it's taken a
long time, an yes, there are still challenges.  But the time taken is to
do with the market size and all the other stuff you all know;
* Olympus: again, a company on our side.  It is trying to do the right
stuff - and not all implementations are perfect.  But again, the
baseline of no accessibility a few years ago to some accessibility now -
let's not forget that our expectations are higher as more accessibility
becomes available;
* Intagrated accessibility: more of this is happening and with work
going on in the legislative area to try to force the issue around not
just service providers being forced to comply with disability equality
but manufactuers to, we will hopefully get much further much faster.
Additionally, in some industries already, it is becoming normalised to
integrate synthetic speech systems.  The newest range of Samsung TV mid-
and upper range all have it now, again set to grow with commitments from
Samsung.

Compare where we are to say four years ago:
* IOS has massively changed the landscape around smartphone
accessibility;
* Android is appearing not just in mobile devices but other systems,
carrying with it talkback and all the other support systems there;
* Ebook readers like kindle are accessible in a way they were not.

Do you remember that, for those of us lucky enough to be able to use,
afford and learn about this stuff, that 4 years ago it was challenging
or impossible to get the book of your choice at the time of publication.
Today, depending on your abilities and tech set up, you can do just
that, along with access to around a million and half ebooks, magazines
and newspapers.

So keep up the pressure, but don't forget what we've all managed to do.
And by the way, as well as ranting about this stuff on lists,divert at
least some of your energy to writing to the companies concerned and
telling them - tell pure it's not acceptable that they've
withdrawnradio;  tellpanasonic that you want more of what they've
delivered;  tellolympus that if they can do it in one box surely they
can do it in another;  and that you'd buy it if it were there.

Like you, i get deeply frustrated that stuff isn't in place that should
be - but we seem tospend inordinate amounts of time arguing the toss
around which is best - IOS or Andorid.  How about - who cares! They
should both be excellent and people should have choice.  How about
harnessing our energies on making stuff happen by direct contact with
the people that can make these decisions - because there's never been a
greater time to do it.  Technically, in nearly all cases, there are no
barriers any more;  the barriers are in the will to do it and the
knowledge to implement it well from a user perspective.  But you can
help with that.

Steve