[access-uk] Re: HARRY POTTER AND ACCESS TO BOOKS

  • From: "James O'Dell" <jamesodell@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 12:46:11 +0100

HARRY POTTER AND ACCESS TO BOOKS    There is also a political point here.  It
is true that RNIB can't afford to sell the books as a "loss leader", but I
think perhaps the bigger issue is that they want publishers to come on board
with the "same book, same time, same price" philosophy, perhaps in time
allowing them to take their fair share of the revenue as well.  RNIB selling
the book at a discount would simply reinforce the mistaken view that blind
people want something for nothing, or at any rate for less than "average"
people would pay.  Any discounts offered by outlets are not under the control
of the publishers, and I think RNIB are wise to do things "by the book", if
you'll excuse the pun.  There is no point in having equal access to the
discounts if this ultimately ends up providing publishers with an excuse not to
give us equal access to the material.

James