[access-uk] Gw Micro announces support for java applications

  • From: "Peter Beasley" <pjbeasley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 08:46:41 -0000

I'm posting below a message sent to the gw info list.

­GW Micro is excited to announce support for Java applications through the new WE4Java
Window-Eyes script, developed by Jay Macarty.
The WE4Java Script Central web page describes WE4Java as a script that "provides access to Java based programs using an alternate technology from the Java Access Bridge. This interface communicates directly with the Window-Eyes COM object model
via a public API."
WE4Java is designed to send information from Java applications to Window-Eyes via the Window-Eyes scripting COM interface. Because Window-Eyes is a COM server (meaning other applications can send information directly to Window-Eyes), the possibilities of making any application accessible are endless, regardless of the programming language
an application is developed in.
"The Java language is, at times, regarded as being limited in the area of accessibility and not particularly screen reader friendly, " says WE4Java developer, Jay Macarty. "However, Java actually has one of the most powerful accessibility frameworks available built right into the GUI components. WE4Java simply takes advantage of the extreme power of the Window-Eyes scripting facility to expose the Java accessibility framework in a new and different way. We're not re-inventing java accessibility. We're simply making it visible as an external Window-Eyes script. In other words, the java access capability was always there. Window-Eyes scripting provided a way to unlock it in
a new manner."
You can read more about WE4Java at
­­http://www.gwmicro.com/scripts/WE4Java
. If you're using Window-Eyes 7.0 or greater, you can download and install WE4Java for immediate access to your Java applications. Once WE4Java is installed, you can read the documentation by selecting WE4Java under the Programs section of the Start
Menu.
Congratulations to all Window-Eyes script developers for all your hard work and contributions. We are excited about the future that Window-Eyes scripting has to offer.