[access-uk] Re: Guardian Unlimited Technology: The future of UK radio is now in your hands

  • From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 00:34:56 -0000

An interesting article, and maybe some of us might mention, I'm not sure how,
that digital
services should be made more accessable via speech output, although maybe not
very much can
be done on that front at the broadcasters end, or could it?

I don't know the truth of it as far as the ludicrous situation with DAB we have
now is
concerned, but I did hear somewhere that Pure, the maker of many DAB radios and
tuners,
wanted things to stay as they were when they invested in running DAB
multiplexes - including
the retention of MP2 encoding built into the expensive radios then available.
And so, we
have the multiplex congestion  we have to live with.

Though somewaht off-topic here, I don't like the idea I'm going to have to
ditch my digital
radios and tuners as well as, inevitably, my FM radios and tuners too.  Such is
change.

(Sorry, but for those who don't like it, I've lopped off the article itself,
but the link to
the Guardian for the full article is still at the end of this message.)

From Ray
I can be contacted off-list at:
mailto:ray-48@xxxxxxxx