[access-uk] Google TTS update and new high quality voices

  • From: <vanja@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2014 12:15:13 -0000

Hello,

Been quite busy so haven't really been monitoring the list for last couple
of days or so, so appologies if this has been already mentioned.

In case you didn't notice/didn't pay attention, the update to the google TTS
for Android is now available. It, do a degree, fixes the issues with
sluggishness. Though it's still not as responsive as it should be, it's an
reasonable improvement to what it was before this update. To get/install the
update naturally just go to updates from the play store.

However, in adition to what I wrote above, this update also brings a male
voice as well as high quality male and female voices (those that you can
hear when interacting with google now). To get those go to
settings/language and imput/text to speech output/launche engine settings.
In there you will see the button to install voice data. Tap on that and
there, choose your language and then you will be presented with both a new
mail voice and hight quality voices that I mentioned above. The hight
quality voices about 280 MB each, so it is recommended to do this via wifi.
Once the voice is installed it will automatically default to the newly
voice. To change the voice, you need to go to same place as described above
to where you download voices, but now if there is more than one voice
install there will be radio buttons as to which voice you want to choose to
be default.

My first impressions of new voices is, as I said above, it's still not as
responsive as I'd like it to be but definitely much much better than what it
was. I personally really like the femail google now voice, which obviously
we can now use with talkback. Google should make this voice available for
windows! Hell I'd even pay a small fee if needed. The only slight annoyance
is that the volume is reasonably lower in this high quality voice in
comparison with the regular google voice. Obviously not a huge issue and
something I can live with, so it is more of an observation than anything
else really.