[access-uk] Re: Google Nexus 7 queries

  • From: "Jackie Cairns" <jackie.cairnsplace@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 17:00:33 -0000

Thanks so much.  I don't know how I got German out of the Nexus 7 when
speech came on, but perhaps my fingers wandered and ended up becoming a
gesture? (naughty smile).  We had fun trying to get the sighted person to
put it back to UK English I can tell you, there was a really hilarious side
to it all.

I love the male English voice, he's way better than Daniel I must say, very
realistic.  Do you know what synthesis that is meant to be?

Thanks for all the links.  I have joined the Eyes-Free mailing list, and had
a poke around on one of the websites you gave a link for some time back.

The Nexus 7 looks a nice piece of kit.  While I like my Apple devices, I
want to learn about Android as well to enjoy a balanced and informed
perspective on both.  Is there a list of gestures for the speech program
built into it that you know of?  Swiping left and right with one finger
seems to take me round the screen a bit, and double tapping appears to open
an app, both the same as Apple.  My tasks are to get my WiFi key put in, and
turn on Bluetooth.  I have a feeling my Apple Bluetooth keyboard won't pair
with it given Apple are quite locked down.  Have you or anyone tried using a
Bluetooth keyboard with an Android device, or could recommend one?

Thanks once again for your help.

Kind Regards,

Jackie Cairns