[access-uk] Re: Getting rid of browser hijacker

  • From: Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 09:33:02 +0000

On Mon, 2007-02-05 at 17:58 +0000, deonv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Windows XP SP2, IE6 and IE7, Jaws 8.
>
> My home page used to be google but it has recently been changed to
> yahoo.co.uk when I installed IE7.
>
> There seems to be no way that I can change the home page back to google.
>
> It seems that some dirty tricks have been applied by yahoo to
> redirect users to their site.
>
> On researching it it would appear that some computer manufacturers
> have planted the redirect code in IE7.
>
> Changing back to IE6 makes no difference.
>
> Using SpyBot, AdAware, XoftSpy and Norton resolves nothing.
>
> Has anyone encountered this and if so, been able to get rid of the
> redirect code?
>
> Incidentally, doing the obvious in IE7 internet options resolves nothing.

Just to be clear, when you do the obvious, what actually happens? And
when you load up IE7 back up, and go to internet options, what is the
homepage set to?

It sounds like you installed Yahoo's customization of IE7 and now are
being prevented from changing your homepage by some security settings in
one of your security programs.

See the following forum discussion about how to make sure SpyBot isn't
preventing you from changing your homepage:

http://forums.spybot.info/archive/index.php/t-5648.html

See the follow Symantec support page about how to make sure Norton isn't
preveting you from changing your homepage:

See also the Microsoft support page on problems changing the homepage:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320159