[access-uk] Re: Getting Rid of Norton

  • From: "Andy Logue" <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 09:40:21 +0100

Hi Carol.

I've managed to get some more information regarding removing Norton from your computer. There are two methods: Automatic and Manual. Here are the two url's:

Automatic:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

Manual:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/docid/2006031710323113?Open&src=&docid=2005033108162039&nsf=tsgeninfo.nsf&view=docid&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=&seg=

I have tried to read and understand the first of these, but feel that because I don't have any software: Norton came with my PC World computer, I need to use the Manual solution. However, although I have some peripheral vision, I'd need sighted assistance. So I'm going to get Pauline a nice bottle of wine for tonight and perhaps a large bar of Fruit and Nut and around 9pm, I'm going to suggest that she check it out for me. I'll certainly let you and other list members know how I got on in finally getting rid of this very annoying Norton.

Best wishes.

Andy.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carol Pearson" <carol.pearson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 00:40:24 +0100

Hmmm! Some good news and bad news about removing Norton.

Yes, there is a removal tool that seems to combine and automate
the removal of
Norton System works, Norton Internet Security, etc, and I used to
use all of
these. The tool, which I still have in its original downloaded
form worked
like a charm. After a reboot, it was all gone, except maybe QD
fast and safe
cleanup was left, but that wasn't a problem.

so, where's the catch? Well, and much to my surprise, when I ran
this
marvelous tool, what should appear? A graphical display asking
for a
verification al la Google, eBay et al. I was truly gobsmacked,
but dutifully
complying - and it didn't work first time around - the program
after a minute
or two did its magic, and Norton was gone.

I don't know if this program is meant to work online and thus
needs this
verification in that context, but it struck me as strange, to put
it very
mildy.

So, there you are, a solution of sorts to removing Norton. I've
lived happily
ever after.
Ray

Personal emails:  Email me at