[access-uk] Re: Get_iplayer

  • From: "Keith" <k.clyde@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 13:08:04 -0000

Hello Mike,

Thanks for that list, very useful.

With best wishes,

Keith

From: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Mike Cassidy
Sent: 10 November 2014 12:51
To: 'Access-UK'
Subject: [access-uk] Get_iplayer

Hi listers,

This appeared on Access UK last year, and may help folk to shorten their
command lines. the piece is below my name.

Hth,

Mike

I'm a bit late to the party, but I'd like to pick up on some get_iplayer
queries I came across in earlier threads.

1. As has been mentioned, get_iplayer searches only TV programmes by

default.  If you only ever want to search and download radio programmes,

you can set a preference to make that the default behaviour:

get_iplayer --prefs-add --type=radio

You can unset the preference like this:

get_iplayer --prefs-del --type=radio

Once the preference is set you can omit --type=radio from your

get_iplayer command line.  Every get_iplayer option can be turned into a

permanent preference in the same manner.

2. If you always want to convert all AAC audio to MP3, you can also set

a preference to make that the default behaviour:

get_iplayer --prefs-add --aactomp3

You can unset the preference like this:

get_iplayer --prefs-del --aactomp3

Once the preference is set you can omit --aactomp3 from your get_iplayer

command line.

3. By default, the AAC to MP3 conversion with --aactomp3 produces

128kbps constant bit rate files.  That is perfectly fine for speech

programmes and most music programmes.  If you wish to convert the

higher-quality 320kbps music programmes from Radio 3, add the --mp3vbr

option with a value of 0 (it can range from 0 to 9, with 0 being the

best).  That will produce better conversions using variable bit rate

encoding.  For example:

get_iplayer --type=radio --get "Late Junction" --aactomp3 --mp3vbr=0

4. Regional and local radio programmes are already encoded as MP3 and

get_iplayer will always produce MP3 output files for them.  The

--aactomp3 option will be ignored.

5. get_iplayer can also download with a programme episode URL from the

iPlayer web site.  For radio programmes, the URL must come from the

original iPlayer site (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/radio), not the

newer iPlayer Radio site that launched last year

(http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio).  Once you navigate to the episode page

(the page with the embedded Flash player where you would normally play

back the programme), you can copy the URL from your browser's location

field and paste it into the get_iplayer command line.  For example:

get_iplayer --type=radio

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b036tqq3/The_Archers_14_07_2013/

The example command above should be all on one line.

You can paste at the get_iplayer command prompt in two ways: Use

Right-Click, Paste with the mouse or use the keystroke sequence

Alt+Space, e, p

6. The get_iplayer beginner's guide mentioned in an earlier post has

moved.  It is now located at:

http://getiplayer.co.uk

The page containing the link to the Windows installer is:

http://getiplayer.co.uk/guides/windows-quick-install-guide/

The installer link is labelled:

Windows 7 and 8 get_iplayer installer (single .exe file)

If you would like to take a shortcut, the direct link to the Windows

installer is:

http://www.infradead.org/get_iplayer_win/get_iplayer_setup_latest.exe