[access-uk] Re: Get_Iplayer Commands

  • From: "Amro Bilal" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2014 12:12:55 -0000

And just to add, in get_iplayer, to paste you can press Alt space E P. To close it’s Alt space C. To clear the command line it’s Control C. An Arrow Up will insert the last command line in the command line. Finally, you can always replace the command --get with -g.

As Keith pointed I too always type up the command lines on a Notepad then copy and paste. It eases the pain considerably!

Personally I’ve changed the default in get_iplayer to radio so I don’t have to type --type=radio every time I’m downloading a radio program. To do this, in the command line type

get_iplayer --add-prefs --type=radio

followed by enter. If you do this don’t forget to start adding --type=tv when you’re dealing with TV programs!

I don’t bother with converting the downloaded files to MP3. They download in MPEG4 formats by default for radio and TV and that plays on both my computer and Victor Stream just fine but others may prefer MP3 formats.

So the command line I use to download a radio program reads:

get_iplayer -g “name of program”

Cheers,
Amro

-----Original Message----- From: Keith
Sent: Friday, November 07, 2014 4:25 PM
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [access-uk] Re: Get_Iplayer Commands

Hi Pele,

I have been using get_iplayer for some while now, and I'm very pleased that
the latest version now allows me to use the programme in much the same way
that I did before last week.

Others may tell you there is a much better way of doing things, but this is
how I use get_iplayer.

I have get_iplayer on my desktop.

I have a plain text file in which I store various lines of commands.

Each line is more or less the same, except for the name of the programme I
wish to download.

An example of a line I have, which goes to get The Men from the Ministry, is
as follows:

get_iplayer --type=radio --get "The Men from the Ministry" --aactomp3
--mp3vbr=0

This is how I use that line:

1. Highlight the line, and copy it to the clipboard.

2. Open get_iplayer.

3. Press Alt+space, which brings up a menu.

4. Cursor down to "Edit", which has a sub-menu.

5. Right Cursor.

6. Cursor down to "Paste".

7. Press Enter twice.

Get_iplayer will then go to get The Men From The Ministry, and chatter away
for some time.

When it is downloaded, it is stored in a folder called  i_player recordings.

Finally, to get out of i_player, you have to make sure you are at the
Greater Than sign, and then type exit.

As I said, there are probably other ways of doing things, but that's how I
use get_iplayer.

Good luck.

With best wishes, and many thanks for the weekly Radio 4 Extra listings.

With best wishes,

Keith