[access-uk] Re: German and french Braille

  • From: Colin Howard <colin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 18:15:05 +0100

Greetings,

I mentioned German and French braille to a friend who as they only have
email at work, must be careful about the groups joined hence is not on this
one.

I reproduce below, the text, he suggest I may copy the relevant part for the
group, he advises to bear in mind the details given, relate to the early to
mid 'nineties.  He is fairly confident the German details are correct but
cannot vouch for the French ones.

From: Christopher Biles
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 17:07:46 +0100

Next, my attempted answer to address your comment about Braille tutorials in
other languages. I would in the first instance suggest people google the
agency names I quote below for full contact details and web links.

When it comes to French, the publishing house supplying the primer for Grade
2 "Braille Abrägä" is the Paris based organisation called
Association Valentin Haüy

The Marburg based organisation which publishes the primar for German Grade
2, known as "Braillekurzschrift" is called the
Deutsche Blindenstudienanstalt e.V., or DBlista for short.

Both the French and German organisations offer their primers for sale,
though in the case of Germany, this is relatively expensive since in
Germany, its citizens get generous blindness allowances so there is no need
for any RNIB style subsidy to reduce the cost of Braille and other products
to the end user.