[access-uk] GW Connect and updating Skype client

  • From: Paul Warner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2014 17:26:08 +0100

Having heard that GW Connect is to be permanently 'disconnected' and killed off on account of Microsoft dropping the Skype API, I thought it was about time to revert to the usual Skype application.

The version of Skype I have on my Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit machine is 6.10. When I ran it, a message popped up, saying that this version could no longer run and I needed to get the latest version of Skype. A few steps later, I was running the Skype installer.

Then I got a message saying that the updating had been aborted since my previous version could not be removed. That was that. After a reboot, I tried to uninstall my existing version of Skype using Control Panel. A Windows error message reported that something or other did not match the stuff on my system. Hitting the Browse button in this message box showed that the uninstall program was looking for a file called skype.msi. A search for this file using the Start menu yielded no results.

This now means that my existing Skype 6.10 will not run, it cannot be uninstalled and the new version cannot be installed since it requires the old one to go away. Has anyone else experienced this?

Note that I uninstalled GW Connect before attempting the Skype update. I hope that uninstalling GWC did not remove the required information...

Paul