[access-uk] Re: GPS stand-alone devices and iOS apps

  • From: Kevin Cussick <the.big.white.shepherd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 20:18:37 +0100

Hello,

I thought about trying one of these devices out some time ago. but didn't like the Kapten or the plus version. now 2 questions is this new version really any better? and is the battery replaceable?

On 13/09/2013 12:32, Michael A Ray wrote:

I don't think it's accurate to describe the Kapten Mobility as 'one step
behind'.  I have a Kapten Plus which I bought second hand, and which has
now been superseded by the Kapten Mobility but it is very flexible, very
responsive and so far I have found it very easy to use.

The Trekker Breeze is, I think, technology which is several years old.
The bottom line is that GPS, like most other technologies, is a moving
target and devices have a very limited shelf life.

It will be very interesting to see how the European GPS system,
currently under development, improves accuracy, since with current GPS
the accuracy is deliberately limited for public use by the US military.

Mike

On 13/09/2013 09:57, john gallagher wrote:
hi there

i think this is a very good point

technology for the blind is always many years behind and this is why
if you go main stream you will stay ahead.

Please consider making a donation to NVDA, insuring that blind people all over the world, will be able to afford access to technology by going to
http://www.nvaccess.org/wiki/Donate
All The Best