[access-uk] Re: GPS stand-alone devices and iOS apps

  • From: Michael A Ray <mike.ray@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 20:18:16 +0100

Hello Aeden,

I don't think the restriction on the accuracy on the basis of terrorists using GPS is realistic. Terrorists can use screw-drivers to make bombs but they are still widely available.

But I suspect you're right about the European system being likely to be as inaccurate.

I am going to try to contact Kapsys because I want to ask them about the USB protocol so I can write some software for the Kapten Plus which is more accessible than the very poor KapManager which it comes with, which is written in Java.

If I manage to get in contact with them I will ask about map updates.

Mike

On 13/09/2013 19:41, Aedan O'Meara wrote:
Hi Mike,
I also have the Kaptan plus and I have only used in our car to help my wife
find the way. I find the terminology a bit strange at times and I assume the
translation from the French is something to do with that. Is it possible
that RNIB can get us updated maps for same.
I also find it strange that I could not get Australian maps for it when I
visited Sydney last January for 6 weeks. The unit is available in Australia
but the maps are not transferable. A bit odd considering the cost of the
unit.
I don't think we will ever have GPS tell us the door we are at as the
terrorists can use that too easily. I expect the European system to be just
as restrictive as the American.
Regards
Aedan.