[access-uk] Fw: [nvda] For Skype Users: Introducing SkypeTalking for NVDA, version 0.5!

  • From: "Peter Beasley" <pjbeasley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 14:30:28 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Hrvoje Katić" <hrvojekatic@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <nvda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, February 11, 2010 10:57 PM
Subject: [nvda] For Skype Users: Introducing SkypeTalking for NVDA, version 0.5!

Hello all,

I am proud to announce that I've developed an application that brings better Skype support to NVDA! In fact, this will be alternative to SKRead, which is discontinued.
So what it does?
SkypeTalking is primarily created for NVDA users. All other screen readers have already some kind of access to Skype, and they can read online statuses, incoming chats, incoming calls etc. Well, with SkypeTalking, now NVDA can too!
Breaf details:
This is SkypeTalking version 0.5, and in this first version it currently supports the following basic features: 1. Communication between Skype API and nvdaControllerClient -- the output is given in both speech and braille, 2. Announcement of incoming calls, incoming/outgoing chat messages, and user statuses including online, ofline, away etc. 3. Announcement of call statuses such as call connected, call dropped, call finished etc. 4. And it's more to come, including support for other screen readers, configuration dialog etc. etc.! This program runs in system tray. In right-click popup menu there are two options available, About and Exit. They are self-describing, so no need to talk too much. The program is OpenSource, though currently access to source code is only available if you contact me privately until I find an SVN repository where I'll put my source code. BTW: It's programmed in Python! Used dependencies are Skype4Py and wxPython, at the moment.
Important!
SkypeTalking.exe needs authorization to access Skype, so you must unblock SkypeTalking.exe application under tools/options/advanced/Manage other program's access to skype link before using it! Otherwise, the application will not work! Please don't say I didn't worn you, and don't send me any emails that the program is not working before trying to authorize it for use with Skype! I hope that SkypeTalking works well with both 3.x and 4.x versions. Currently I'm using it with Skype 4.2, on Windows XP machine. The application is portable, and doesn't need to be installed, though I am planning to make an installer for it in the future.

Download link for SkypeTalking version 0.5 is:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4078384/HKSoftware/SkypeTalking0.5_Portable.exe

Extract somewhere and enjoy! Note, if you move program to any other place, it may happen that you will have to reauthorize it like it is case with Miranda with Skype.

Happy skyping with NVDA!

nvda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
//www.freelists.org/list/nvda
http://www.nvda-project.org/