[access-uk] Re: Fw: [dolphinusers] making your own prepatched XP Sp2 setup CD

  • From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 07:45:40 +0100

Carol, with rgard to merging SP2 and XP updates, if I try it I'll
let you know how I get on.  Fred Langer, of the Lagerlist
newsletter isn't VI himself, but I think it fair to say he isn't
unaware of screen readers.  If a more detailed explanation of how
to achieve merging is needed then I am sure that someone could
come up with it.  (When it comes to this sort of thing, I have
less than the right sort of head for detail that's needed.)
Could be just the sort of thing that Dave Williams or Brian
Hargen could do at some time.  (Think Dave Williams did a
detailed session on XP update not long back,and the archive is
up-to-date now, even if each edition doesn't have a summary to go
with it.)
Ray

Personal emails:  Email me at
mailto:ray-48@xxxxxxxx

From: "Johan Louw
To: <dolphinusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [dolphinusers] making your own prepatched XP Sp2 setup
CD

Hi All,

A little lengthy and off topic, however I think you might find
this
interesting.

With Kind Regards

Johan

Information from Fred Langa
http://langa.com

making your own "prepatched" setup CD is surprisingly
easy--- a point and click exercise with only a few geeky parts.
Your
hybrid install CD will work exactly as the original one did, even
the
point of using the same 25-character Product Key, but it will be
completely up to date with all patches and updates, up to and
including
SP2. Any system you set up with the hybrid CD will be pre-patched
current levels, in one step. You'll be totally up to date from
the
start,
rather than facing maybe an hour or more of additional downloads
bring
the new installation or reinstallation to SP2 levels.

You only need three things to get started:

1) Your original, legitimate XP setup CD. (Almost any variation
of an
original setup CD will work: Pro or Home; retail or OEM; full
install
CD
or upgrade CD; etc.).

2) A CD burner, blank CD, and software capable of creating a
bootable
CD
(eg. Nero, Roxio, etc.)

3) About a gigabyte of free space on your hard drive for
temporary
file
storage. (This space can be recovered after you've made your new
CD.)

I've posted a fully-illustrated step-by-step guide to producing
your
own
up-to-date installation CD at
http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=47212
312 .

Every critical step is accompanied by a screen shot so you'll
know
exactly what to expect. I've included live links to the (free)
downloads
you'll need to create the CD, and also included links to other
sites
that
discuss the same process, so if my method doesn't work for you,
for
any
reason, you can find another that will.

I've already used my own updated installation CD here, and it was
very
cool to set up a new XP PC and see the process end, in one step,
with
complete, up-to-date SP2 setup, with no additional downloads or
patches
needed.

Check it out---all the information you need to make your own,
full
pre-
patched XP installation CD is at