[access-uk] Re: Fw: Response from Lloyds TSB re chip & pin at home

  • From: "David Quarmby" <quarmby@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 16:56:52 +0100

Well said Colin.
regards
David Quarmby
quarmby@xxxxxxxxxxxx
07736 087019
0207 217 8023
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Colin Fowler
  To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Sunday, May 20, 2007 10:35 AM
  Subject: [access-uk] Re: Fw: Response from Lloyds TSB re chip & pin at home

  Derek,

  That is complete rubbish, it would only constitute a reasonable adjustment
  if the person receiving that adjustment was at no disadvantage compared with
  others.

  Your argument in defence of the bank is complete nonsense. Ask yourself, why
  are the banks introducing ACD? The consensus of opinion is - security? Yes?
  So, it is obvious, would you not agree? that the banks consider anything
  other than ACD as less secure? Yes? Or why are they introducing it?

  Therefore, useing your annalysis of there exemption for blind and visually
  impaired customers, this apparent reasonable adjustment, is less secure,
  which is therefore treating those that opt to use it, at a disadvantage
  compared with those for whom a similar reason would not apply.

  Let me just remind you of something. The DDA does not refer to equal
  treatment for disabled people, it actually states that a disabled person
  should be treated more favourably than someone for whom a similar reason
  would not apply.

  Blind and visually impaired customers should therefore be insisting on the
  same levels of increased security,rather than being only too ready to accept
  an exemption from these new security precautions, and if that means that the
  banking industry has to invest in a ACD product that is accessible, than so
  be it! I can't precisely recollect the profits that Lloydds TSB made last
  year, but I'm sure that it was in excess of 5 billion.

  Kind regards

  Colin

  Colin Fowler

  Disability Consultant