[access-uk] Re: Fw: Response from Lloyds TSB re chip & pin at home

  • From: "Barry Hill" <bbinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 20:44:10 +0100

But, the ATM's are already in situ.  These new gadgets are post DDA.  It is
not reasonable adjustment to expect the banks to change all the ATM's, but
they can make an anticipatory adjustment to these security fobs.

To make it clear, the DDA 1995 goes as follows:

19. - (1) It is unlawful for a provider of services to discriminate against
a disabled person-

  (a) in refusing to provide, or deliberately not providing, to the disabled
person any service which he provides, or is prepared to provide, to members
of the public;

  (b) in failing to comply with any duty imposed on him by section 21 in
circumstances in which the effect of that failure is to make it impossible
or unreasonably difficult for the disabled person to make use of any such
service;

  (c) in the standard of service which he provides to the disabled person or
the manner in which he provides it to him; or

  (d) in the terms on which he provides a service to the disabled person.

  20. - (1) For the purposes of section 19, a provider of services
discriminates against a disabled person if-

 (a) for a reason which relates to the disabled person's disability, he
treats him less favourably than he treats or would treat others to whom that
reason does not or would not apply; and

 (b) he cannot show that the treatment in question is justified.

However, the banks can argue this one:

(4) The conditions are that-

(c) in a case falling within section 19(1)(a), the treatment is necessary
because the provider of services would otherwise be unable to provide the
service to members of the public;

However, as David Anchors said, a USB version could be used or, as Kevin
Lloyd said, a software alternative could be used for both sighted and
visually impaired.

 Barry

 Barry