[access-uk] Re: Fw: Re: RNIB Student Library Booklist on Counselling

  • From: "Emma Wright" <emmajane9@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 17:28:57 +0100

It's all very well the assuming the reading lists don't change much from
year to year, but relying on old lists has often lead to my University
spending a lot of time and my DSA money enlarging books that don't make it
to the current year's list!  In sociology, lecturers seem expected to use
different books each year to stay up-to-date, and rarely seem to have a book
list ready for the start of term so I'm lucky if I get my books before the
module is over.  I've lost count of the number of times I requested
booklists in advance to be told by lecturers that they haven't had a chance
to revise them yet.  I'm conducting research into the subject of reasonable
adjustments, and although I'm not far in yet, I keep hearing how much lists
are needed in advance, but how they are rarely provided.  When I talk to
lecturers about it, they complain that they aren't given enough time to
prepare their courses, so it seems to me it is down to departments to make
it cler to their staff that readings lists must be made available in advance
and, most importantly, give them adequate time in their schedules to do so.

Emma Wright

On 20/09/06, Andy Logue <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Dave.

Couldn't agree with you more.