[access-uk] Re: Fw: HSBC & accessibility

  • From: Léonie Watson <tink@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 21:38:29 +0100

Colin,

    Looking just at the form, they've done something odd with the form
labels. The text labels are visually present, as are the form fields, but
the HTML code you need to associate the two has been done in completely the
wrong way.

    It's this code that tells a screen reader that a label is present. When
you tab from one form field to another, this code supplies the screen reader
with the information it needs to speak the text label.

    Done in the right way, this code is wrapped around both the text and the
form field. This is partly how a screen reader knows the two things relate
to each other. In this case, they've included the right code, but they
haven't wrapped it around the text label or the input field properly.

    When a screen reader lands on a form field on this page, it looks
through the code to see whether there's a text label present. Many web forms
don't bother to use the right code at all, so screen readers have become
adept at finding the most likely substitute instead. The trouble with this
form is that the screen reader find the code it's looking for, but there's
nothing inside it to be spoken to the user.

    Sorry, it's a bit of a complicated thing to try and explain unless
you're familiar with HTML, but I hope you get the gist. Essentially, the
form labels won't be read out properly when you tab from field to field
because of the way the form is coded.

    On a last note, a few of the form fields have been coded in the right
way, nickname for example. Very odd approach to web development, even by
normal standards.

Regards,
Léonie.

  _____