[access-uk] Re: Fw: Disabled People and Chip and Pin

  • From: "Sayka Hussain" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 19:40:44 +0100

Hi Simon,

To put it simply, these companies don't send you stuff like your pin via
email as it is very easy for others to read  and then go away and empty your
account for you.  At the end of the day, all such companies are doing, is
protecting you from fraud, which as you're probably aware is the fastest
growing crime in the UK.

Why don't you get someone to read the pin for you, go to the bank, and the
first time you enter it, it asks you whether you want to change it.  You can
get one of the bank staff to read out the screen to you.  Then key in the
four digit number you would like as your pin, it'll ask you to confirm this
and you key it in again, then you're done.  That's what I tend to do if they
won't send it to me in Braille, which they don't like doing for security
reasons, too many people see your pin during format conversion.

On a general note, everyone make sure  that someone standing behind you
can't see the numbers that you're keying in to the keypad.  I always find
the number five first due to the dot on it, ask them where the enter key is,
and get on with it by placing one hand over the keypad and with the other,
keying in the number so noone can see what the number is.  With Chip and
Pin, the card never leaves your sight (in the figurative sense of the word
of course) and it lessens the chances of someone emptying your back account
for you.  A thief need only know, either your card number, the security
number on the back, or the sixteen digit switch or credit card number.  From
this they can manufacture a new card and using various other means, obtain
your details.  It's frightening how easy it is to have someone commit ID
fraud on you, hence banks paranoia in not giving out pin numbers over the
phone or via email.

One more thing, always, always, tear up or shred any receipts you get when
you've used your card and which you're about to bin.  They have all the
card's numbers on them and are a security hazard - a fraudsters dream.

Sayka Hussain