[access-uk] Re: Further Chaos RNIB Services

  • From: "Ibrahim Gucukoglu" <ibrahim_gucukoglu@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 May 2015 07:01:40 +0100

Hi Derik.

I think there was a case some time ago where Amazon had precisely this problem with a palmtop computer. They advertised it at some ridiculously low price, received so many orders, in fact I think I recall their website crashed as a result and when they discovered their mistake they cancelled all orders at the incorrect pricing and or offered the goods at the correct price. The contract for goods doesn't actually exist until the monies have been paid over and the company accepts the order. If they then send out the goods and discover the mistake later, you could justify that as an argument for keeping the goods at the lower price, however if the company realises their mistake, they can refuse to honour the sale and cancel the order. If you look at order confirmation emails, such as from Amazon, they will state this.

All the best, Ibrahim.

-----Original Message----- From: Derek Hornby
Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2015 5:54 PM
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [access-uk] Re: Further Chaos RNIB Services

Hi Steve
So what if a web site shows £50 price for a computer.
Customers clicks and place order.
After the order placed, business says: "price on web site is a
mistake.
Correct price is £300"

Would the customer have to either pay the corrected price
or cancel order?

Regards, Derek