[access-uk] Freevox Touch

  • From: Kelsey Trevett <kelsey.trevett@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 22:37:34 +0100

 Hi,
 The Freevox Touch
http://www.myfreevox.com/
is an accessible smartwatch designed for the blind and visually impaired. It offers features such as a stopwatch, timer, voice recorder and music player, all accessed through speech output. As its name suggests, a touch screen is used to access all areas of the watch and due to the speech access, no part of the device is left inaccessible to a blind or low vision user. David Woodbridge from Vision Australia did an audio demonstration of this product when it launched in late 2013:
http://mainmenu.acbradio.org/viewshow.php?showid=282
For a short time, Sight & Sound sold the watch for £249 but due to lack of interest (and therefore lack of sales), the watch was taken off of the market and (I believe) the manufacturer no longer produces the product. However, when I attended Sight Village today, a man (who I shall leave nameless) offerred to give me an unsold one. Of course, I accepted and it is coming at some point next week. I was curious to know if anybody had any more info than me, or if anyone had tried one or owns one themf. What do you think of it? Is it easy to use? Also, does it have a built-in speaker for speech output?
 Thanks for reading,
 Kelsey