[access-uk] Re: Freecom DVB-T USB stick

  • From: "G. McFarlane" <gmcf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 04:08:16 +0100

Great Brian,
You've been busy with scripting. I must say these extras could be very handy.

I maybe didn't explain well about the preset keys.
1. You found the context menu OK - I still think there are two windows which seem to be accessed by alt and tab. One is the screen window and the other, the control panel. As I don't see either I'm not sure wich one responds when I use the keypresses but after alt and tab I usually get onto the right one. This context menu (probably from the screen window) can be accessedwith the right mouse button on the keypad. When the correct window is landed upon this key works. It'll probably be easier to have your script.
2. The other window has some buttons on the bottom of it - these allow the bringing up of a file menu (ctrl and O), the EPG (ctrl and E) and I think there's another but I've forgotten as I never use it. (You can't access these from the context menu.)
3. It sounds like you've the EPG going well. You have a list box for the days, I just ctrl tab to the day's guide. Having labelled the days it seems to work. However the file window (ctrl and O) will be of interest to you as you can choose any of the files you've recorded and with the context menu can play them in the software player, or pretty well do anything you need with them, even send them to burn.

My only gripes are:
1. If I access the files through Windows explorer sometimes my machine reboots - I've mentioned this to the makers but they couldn't give me any advice (They're rebuilding the program from scratch.) Do you find this. I could only access the files properly for copying etc from the program's own file window (ctrl and O)
2. I don't think the mpg files are standard as they won't play in Real Player and Media Player. To do that they need put through a program which makes them standard (I can send it to you - I had difficulty in getting it as the website was in Spanish.) The files do play in WinDVD and probably PowerDVD, and I use Tmpgenc (Tsunami) DVD Author to burn them. (This program is one of the few almost accessible DVD creation and video editing programs. It's comprehensive, simple to use, but produces professional DVDs each time I use this in my video business. There are just one or two things that would benefit from scripts to make it almost perfect. It also has a sister program which uses pretty well all the same keypresses and it converts, filters, edits and enhances most video files from avi to mpg to divx.

If you're interested in this area, you can experiment with trials of this program.
www.tmpg-inc.com

Also probably the most comprehensive analog tv card software I've come across - does most cards - is chris-tv.
www.chris-tv.com
Setting up needs the jaws cursor, but after that it's so jaws friendly. It lets me record sky very easily.

What will you be doing with the scripts Brian - will you be selling them? The freeview stick is good already but I'm sure there's loads of blind folks who would be glad of them.

Regards.
Gordon
----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian Hartgen" <brian@xxxxxxxxxxx>