[access-uk] Re: Free Open Source Guide Software?

  • From: Vincent Thacker <vince@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 May 2014 01:19:00 +0200 (CEST)

Zak,

I have no idea what the software was that you found, but I doubt whether it
would be Dolphin Guide unless it was specifically called that.

Open-source software is software where anyone with the skills can help to
develop it. Well-known open source programs are Firefox, Open Office, NVDA
screen reader and Android. Being open source doesn't mean the software is
always free, nor does it mean it's any good! But some of it is very good indeed.

Vince.

Message Received: May 08 2014, 09:25 PM
From: "Zac Anderman"
To: guide.support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [access-uk] Free Open Source Guide Software?

Hi,
At an exhibition last week I saw somethibng called a free open source
copy of Guide software.
I was going to upgrade my Guide, but this sounds interesting as its free.
It was made by dollin or syntactic, but i cannot find it on google.
Does anyone know who makes it?
Also what is open source? Is it safe? Will it run on winodows,
Hope someone out there can hlep as i dont understand.
Zac