[access-uk] Re: For those interested, an objective look at the differences between iOS and Android in terms of accessibility

  • From: Ian Macrae <ian.macrae@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 15:21:19 +0100

Hi Steve, very interesting and comprehensive. I'd make the following
observations.

1.  The piece indicates that Android has always been playing catch-up to Apple
and have taken a less integrated approach.  One person's "Closed off" solution
is another's integrated one.

2.  He is clearly much more technically savvy than your average user.  He has
also had access to and assistance from other expert software techies who appear
to have done, or helped him to do things to and with Android phones which he
could not have done independently as a blind person.

For these and other reasons I'd stand by my contention that the iPhone remains
the easiest and most intuitive solution for someone without technical skill or
knowledge who just wants to get going with a talking handset.

All good wishes.

Ian

Ian Macrae
Editor
Disability Now
6 Market Road
London
N7 9PW
++44 20 7619 7760 ext 7760
++44 7824 900855
www.disabilitynow.org.uk<http://www.disabilitynow.org.uk>
Follow us: @disabilitynow

On 20 Jun 2013, at 13:52, Steve Nutt wrote:

Hi all,

I think this is a well-written and balanced article that outlines the
differences between iOS and Android in terms of accessibility.

Read this if you're interested:-

http://www.thebinaryportal.net/android_ios.html

All the best

Steve