[access-uk] Re: For David Wood: was: combi-boilers. longish reply

  • From: "John Wilson" <j.wilson07@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 18:03:15 +0100

Hello David,

I had the combi-boiler maintenance man come last Thursday and return again today. He had made a few adjustments to the boiler set-up and came to check the pressure, etc, to see if they had worked. He made another adjustment or two and said that he thought that my loss of pressure problem would now be cured.

Apparently, due to the way my system is set-up and the way I use it, it was occasionally over pressurising and then the emergency outlet was shooting water out to reduce this and thus falling back to a level of pressure below that recommended. This was his conclusion and only time will tell if this turns out to be correct. Hopefully it will be. Having left it for a week, it did not lose any pressure with his adjustments.

As far as the expansion vessel is concerned which you were interested in, my guess was right. It's in the boiler itself. Modern combi-boilers do not have an expansion tank external to the boiler but a smaller, internal container. They also have a by-pass pipe between the inlet of water and outlet of water to the boiler itself and it is this by-pass pipe which has an adjustment valve on it which he has mainly been adjusting.

Well, we will see if things work as they should now. He tells me that a new system like mine should not need topping up at all between its annual adding of protective rust-proving liquid and re-pressurising at that time.

Regards,
John.
----- Original Message ----- From: "David W Wood" <g3yxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 07/04/2008