[access-uk] Re: Firefox Update

  • From: Doris and Chris <chipmunks@xxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2011 17:17:42 -0400

I do not currently have jaws 9 installed on my system.

First a general note: be careful about updating a program especially if you are running older assistive technology technology that may not be compatible with such. when possible, try to get the portable version of the program you want to update and see how it works witth your assistive technology. You can get the portable version of Firefox from

http://portableapps.com/apps

a portable version does not interfere with your installed version of the software.

you can try if the following will help you out when using ff5 with jaws 9:

Try using

alt+d

to go to the address bar to type in the url you want to visit. This keystroke works both in Internet Explorer and Firefox.

to Exit the program, try using either

ctrl+w

to close the browser window you are in or if you want to shut down firefox altogether, try doing so thru the file menu by choosing the "close" or "exit" command.

Finally, if you want to get rid off FF5 and downgrade to your earlier version - Firefox 3.6.x is still being updated while 4.0.x apparently is not - you do not need to perform a systemrestore but can rather just uninstall ff5 thru add/remove programs. You could probably even just install firefox 3.6 over 5.0 but I would usually recommend a clean install. If you roll back to ff3.6, you want to uncheck automatic updates in the advanced section of firefox's options.

hth

Doris

At 04:25 PM 7/4/2011, you wrote:
Hi Lists,

Fristly, apologies for cross posting.

Using JAWS 9, Firefox 5, XP Home

Has anyone updated to Firefox v5 and using JAWS 9
encountered any problems such as the following?

In the past Ctrl+L used to allow me to type in a web address
and go to that website after pressing Enter.  Not anymore.

Also when I go onto my Home page I'm never placed at the
top, now its somewhere nearer the bottom of the page.

And when I try to exit with Alt+F4 nothing happens.  I have
to use the Link to JAWS cursor and click on the close symbol
with the JAWS mouse key.

I'm reluctant to do a System Restore as I've had other
updates to my anti-virus  software since Firefox was updated
to ver 5.

Any thoughts please?

Jim Williams